My mom and brother beg me to make chocolaty desserts every time I'm home, so I finally gave in and whipped up a batch of these homemade dark chocolate cups during spring break last week.
They're a simple variation of last year's Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter and Coconut Cups. I simply used whole almonds in place of peanut butter, which make these dessert cups taste exactly like Mounds bars.
I forgot how freakin' addicting the cups are. My brother ate SEVEN in one sitting. SEVEN! I didn't eat quite as many, but I came pretty close. Luckily, they contain only five simple ingredients and no weird preservatives, colorings or flavors like typical Reese's cups and Mounds bars.
In other words, overindulge in peace.
Dark Chocolate Coconut and Almond Cups
Makes 24 mini cups
Total Preparation Time: 10 minutes (+ 1 hour of freezing)
- 12 ounces dark chocolate (I used three packages of Trader Joe's 85 percent cacao The Dark Chocolate Lover's Chocolate Bar.)
- Two tablespoons coconut oil (I used Trader Joe's Organic Virgin version.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 72 almonds (I used 3 oven-roasted, unsalted almonds per mini muffin cup.)
- Line two mini muffin pans with liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix coconut with honey.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in large microwave-safe bowl. Heat on high for one minute. Stir.
- Place mixture back in microwave and heat for an additional 45 seconds. Stir. The chocolate should be creamy and smooth at this point. If it is not, heat in 30-second increments until no chunks remain.
- Place one spoonful of melted chocolate on the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Spoon one teaspoon of coconut into each muffin cup.
- Add three almonds to each mini muffin cup.
- Spoon the remaining melted chocolate on top of each muffin cup until the coconut and almonds are covered.
- Place the muffin pans on a flat surface in the freezer. Allow cups to chill for one hour before eating.
- Once chilled, loosen cups from the pans by carefully sliding a sharp knife around the edges of the cups. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
- What's your favorite candy?
Related HGG Posts:
Dark Chocolate and Peanut Butter Coconut Cups
Chewy Chocolate Chunk Coconut Oatmeal Cookies (made with coconut oil)
Vegan Chocolate Zucchini Muffins